The default password will allow you to access your TP Link WiFi extender‘s settings. However, it is advised to change the password to something more safe for security reasons. The reason being is if you don’t change the default password of your TP Link extender, then every second person can access your extender’s settings or steal your personal data. But don’t worry! We won’t let this happen to you. Here, we have provided you a guide to change TP Link extender’s default password. So, let’s go.
But, before you proceed with the steps to change the default password of your TP Link extender, let’s have a look at the prerequisites for doing so.
Prerequisites for Changing TP Link Extender’s Default Password
- The first and foremost requirement to change the default password of TP Link extender is a blazing-fast internet connection. Verify if you have one.
- A steady connection between your TP Link WiFi extender and router.
- The default IP address of your WiFi device to perform TP Link extender login.
- An updated version of a web browser (Google Chrome, Opera, Mozilla Firefox, Brave, Apple Safari, or Microsoft Internet Explorer, etc).
- A damage-free power source to avoid hardware-related issues.
Steps to Change Default Password of TP Link Extender
Power Up Your TP Link WiFi Extender
- Plug your TP Link WiFi range extender into an electrical outlet.
- Switch on the Power button.
- Wait until the power LED on your TP Link WiFi extender is stabilized.
Connect Your WiFi Devices
Once your TP Link extender is powered up properly, grab an Ethernet cable. Use the Ethernet cable to hardwire your TP Link extender and router together. Remember that the connection needs to be strong. Replace the current power cable with a new one just in case it is faulty.
Access TP Link Extender Login Page
- Turn on your computer and access a web browser of your preference.
- Enter the default web address of the TP Link extender i.e. tplinkrepeater.net, in the address bar of your web browser.
• Press the Enter key. A popup to log into your WiFi device will appear.
- Access your TP Link Extender.
Log in to Your TP Link Extender
As soon as the log in window comes into view, fill in the default username and password of your TP Link extender into their required fields. Once done, click the Log In button.
Change the Extender’s Password
- Head over to the Administration section.
- Now, click the Management option.
- Thereafter, fill in the new password in the Extender Password field.
- Confirm the password by typing it again in the ‘Re-enter to confirm’ field.
Note: Set an ideal password that is a combination of letters, numbers, and special characters. Also, do not use your personal details such as name, spouse’s name, phone number, date of birth, etc. as your extender’s password.
Let the Changes Be Effective
- After entering the new password, do not forget to bring the changes into effect.
- Click the Apply button.
- The new password will be saved.
So, next time you log in to your TP Link extender, consider using the new password. Otherwise, you will be welcomed by an error message saying ‘Incorrect Password’.
Caution: Do not turn off your TP Link WiFi extender or refresh the web browser amidst the process of changing your extender’s default password. It may interrupt the process.
In this way, you can change the default password of your extender if you have performed TP Link extender setup at home. Now that you have changed the default password, your device is more secure than earlier.
That’s it! Our guide to change the default password of your TP Link WiFi extender ends here. Hopefully, you will be able to do so and prevent your TP Link extender from being accessed by unauthorized users. If you liked reading this article and want others to learn about what you did, do share it with your fellow readers via the comment section. Thank you for reading this article.